Thursday, January 20, 2011

Oktoberfest: Part Two

Hoi!

Our second half of the Oktoberfest experience proved to be draining. With a serious lack of sleep due to the fellow drunkards and sheer coldness of "The Tent", lack of showering due to everything about the showers, lack of health from the bug that was being passed around, lack of warmth since we arrived and too many poisonous fumes from the fire, we were all starting to feel as if we'd really 'experienced' the festival. Our time wasn't up yet and we still had more to see.

Sonja and myself marched into the festival by ourselves one day and decided it was time to get drunk...Oktoberfest drunk. With only two people, our chances of finding a seat at any time of the day was raised by 300% and so we didn't bother choosing carefully of which tent to go to. We picked the amazing Lowenbrau tent, which featured a lion on top that would have been as tall as a two storey building. It was animated - Featuring a beer in it's hand which it would bring up to it's mouth every now and then. Sometimes you would hear it yelling out "Luuuuuu-veeeeeeen-broooooyyyyyy" (That's how you would pronounce it, Luven-broy) and Sonja found it amazing about how amazed I was by this lion yelling it out. Each beer tent has a different beer usually, but in each tent you can only buy THAT brand of beer, so in the Lowenbrau tent, only Lowenbrau was available.


I've had Lowenbrau once before back in Australia, I feel a bit silly from how we pronounced as Low-en-brow, like it's spelt. Regardless, I loved it then and I loved it even more in the Lowenbrau tent.


By the time we got in there, it was maybe 12ish, when it starts to get busy. The party was on, the band was playing and surprisingly, there was hardly anyone in there. I say that, but if you saw it, you would call it chock-a-block, but compared to what I'd seen earlier, you fit another 2000 people in this one. As the weekend was now over, I guess it had quietened down.


After two beers and being annoyed by Aussies, bretzel sellers and disabled people trying to sell us some tool for wearing glasses, we decided to move our way to the Hofbrau tent for some beasty food. God knows what I ate, but it was full of potato, saurkraut and various meats - It made me pretty happy of what I can remember. After checking our wallets and making a decision on our sobriety, we decided to abandon the mission of getting rotten drunk. There were no-where near enough people to make drunken friendships with and so a stroll in the park with some beers we bought for a quarter of the price sounded like a better idea.

While strolling/stumbling, we came across a giant snail. I have no idea why it was there, but I felt that I had to climb up on it, forgetting how disorientated I was. My motor skills had suffered greatly, but I didn't let that dampen my spirits. Needless to say, I made it no-where near the top of the snail.




After another stroll through the festival itself, we found a lost child, screaming out for it's Dad. As a non-German speaker, I just looked blankly at the kid, he probably found my terrifying speaking in some weird language and having snakes for hair. Sonja handed him over to the nearest bar where apparantly the protocol for such a situation is to just stuff the kid with lollies until the parents report it missing. Brilliant!!

With our last night we, like usual, gathered around the fire with a beer, said our goodbyes to our campsite friends and left the next morning at 5am. Mmmm, I can tell you now, Sonja and myself both felt FAR from awesome. Callum and Lucy had a rideshare organised for some crazy hour like midday, bloody bastards. Anyway, we jumped on our plane and reached Sonja's place. As soon as we got back, we layed down, put on an audio children's book and within 20 seconds, we'd both crashed harder than an elephant that tried to fly with no wings after jumping off a cliff.

I'm sorry my Oktoberfest story wasn't as full on and outragous and it may have been expected to be, but it would have cost double what we spent, and quite frankly, I think I appreciate the time that I did have there, maybe even more so than what I would have if I couldn't have remembered anything from excessive drinking.

See ya'ron!

No comments:

Post a Comment